Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Bug Whisperer










I found some bright yellow insect eggs on the side of the van. I was going to scrape them off the van and place them in our bug catching jar to see if they would hatch. I forgot until the next day when I saw my dear husband washing the van. I ran out yelling at him to stop. I do think sometimes that homeschooling has turned me into a nut. Nah.

I placed the eggs in the jar and put them on the back porch and waited. I really didn't think they would hatch, especially since they had been washed! As the days went by, the eggs started to fade in color and developed a dark spot in the center. I wondered if they were maturing or dying.

Then one day I went out and saw little black spots in the jar. They were hatching! I placed the jar by the van, hoping they would crawl out and know what to do. They didn't. They all stayed in the jar. I moved them to the garden under a tomato plant. When I went back and checked, all but three had left. Remind you of another famous animal story? I got the remaining three to climb onto my finger one at a time and placed them on a tomato leaf.

They were so small it was hard to identify them, but I did google yellow insect eggs and I think they were ladybugs.

1 comment:

§wanny said...

how very cool!!!


by the way, you are a nut! I saw your post about the mix up of blogs and I was laughing!