Wednesday, April 23, 2008

April 23, 2008

It has been four years today. Today is the anniversary of youngest dear son's diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. We have made it four whole years. We won't celebrate in the normal way you celebrate an anniversary, but I will thank God that we have made it this far and without any complications.

I have to share a funny with you or what I thought was a funny. I took my mom out shopping Monday morning. She wanted to pick up some cleaning supplies for spring cleaning. She said she wanted gravy and biscuits from McDonald's and that she would rather go through the drive through window. I pulled up to the window and I meant to tell them to give me a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. What I said was, "Give me a bacon, egg, and cheese burger!" Mom and I thought it was horribly funny and started laughing. The young girl on the speaker was not in the least bit amused and that only made it harder not to laugh.

The mountains are several shades of green now, sprinkled with lots of dogwoods and redbuds. I love spring in Appalachia. The azalea bushes are starting to bloom. I worked in the yard last night. I weeded the rock garden up on the hill. I started out with my little hand rake and scissors. Then I had to go back down for the big rake. Then back down for the loppers, or whatever you call them. I thought I was going to have to go back down for the bow saw! Sassafras saplings had sprouted in my Sweet Williams and I had to cut them out along with some horrible vine that had taken over the whole bed. Ugh. Some wild blackberries had also sprang up in two places. I huffed and puffed and whined the whole time, stopping many times for water. My hat kept blowing off. I was just a whole pack of weenies as my dear husband would say. I will keep at it though. My flowers are in serious need of TLC and goodness knows I need the exercise.

4 comments:

Debbie B said...

LOL!!! So, was the burger any good??

I love the colors of spring, too. New life is a wonderful thing to experience.

Blessings,
Debbie

Wendy aka "Grits" said...

well, *I* would have thought it was funny!

r said...

You didn't get rid of the blackberry bush did you? That would have been a no-no here at our house. LOL

Fairlight said...

It really wasn't a bush. It was a wild briar. I left it last year and it just had a few small, bitter berries. The birds wouldn't even eat them!

Dad raises hybrid blackberries. They are thornless, sweet, and as big as your thumb!