Tuesday, April 08, 2008

April 8, 2008

Today has went surprisingly well after a couple of rough nights and busy days. Youngest dear son has been sick and when he is sick we have to deal with high blood sugars and ketones. This time, however, he hasn't even had a trace of ketones. We have raised the dosage of the insulin he takes with meals to cover the higher numbers. Now that he is getting better we have to lower the insulin dosage back to what it was before he got sick. The tricky part is knowing when to do this. If you lower it too quickly, he will spike. If you don't lower it soon enough, he will go low. We had lows the past two nights and a nasty low at lunch today, despite lowering the breakfast dose by two units. I went ahead and gave his usual amount for lunch today, hoping that we can get back on track.

Yesterday, I took the time to go to the library. I picked up a couple of books on Shakespeare. I have finally gotten my courage up and this summer we are going to study some of Shakespeare's plays, starting with Twelfth Night. I also picked up Anne of Avonlea for youngest son and me to read, along with three books by Lois Lowry that I hadn't read. I read one of them, Gossamer, yesterday and I loved it. I really like her books. They are very easy for me to get into and read. She has a wonderful imagination. I will never forget reading The Giver for the first time. It is one of my favorite books. I may let youngest dear son read it soon.
On my way out I noticed that there was only one book in the "give away" stack that you usually find at the front door of the library. I figured that no one wanted it because it was so heavy. It weighs four pounds. Youngest dear son weighed it for me. The name of the book is Three Hundred Years of American Painting. The first painting in the book is dated 1690; the last is dated 1956. I thought it was truly a treasure to find a book like this, so of course I swooped it up and took it home. The whole family has enjoyed looking through it. It made me wonder if there are any famous American painters painting now. Anyone? Anyone?


I know it is a little late for this pix, but it is a long and boring story. Speaking of late, we woke up Sunday morning to discover that our VCRs had reset themselves forward one hour. We reset all the clocks in the house for Daylight Savings back in March. I guess someone forgot to tell the VCRs that it had been moved up a month. Still, they showed good effort and I like that in an electronic device.

2 comments:

r said...

Funny you mention the time change. Yesterday I loaded my dog up in the car to take to the vet and drove down to the end of the road only to look at the clock and realize that the time on the computer was an hour behind. It must have done the same thing and I didn't look at any other clock in the house before I left. I had to turn and come back home, unload the dog, and then do it all over again in an hour.

Debbie B said...

I think that the book sounds great. I am planning on going to the library and checking out a stack of books that I WANT to read that aren't college textbooks. I can't wait!!!

Blessings,
Debbie