Wednesday, May 07, 2008

May 7, 2008

Well...I tried. I blogged twelve days in a row. I think that is a record for me. Life just got in the way and I couldn't get here to post. I now have a lot of catching up to do.

Let me back up to Saturday. We now have a college graduate in the family! Oldest dear son graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in History. It definitely was a proud mamma moment.

We really enjoyed the ceremony despite the rude people behind us who kept talking through the whole thing. The Processional was led by a bagpiper in full Scottish attire. Most of the graduations I have attended used a tape of Pomp and Circumstance, so this was such a pleasant surprise. The National Anthem was played on the French Horn. Very nicely done. The guest speaker gave a good speech and didn't drone on like some do. The Valedictorian's Address was from the book of Esther. Three hundred and thirty graduates received diplomas. The youngest was 20 and the oldest was 55.

Oldest dear son will now go on to get his Master's degree. He wants to teach college history. Both of our sons are history nuts. Watching oldest dear son graduate has made me want to hold on to youngest dear son. I know they won't be living with me forever and it is just something I don't allow myself to think about. I am sitting here thinking about the little poem about roots and wings:

For you, my child,
I wish two things,
To give you roots
And give you wings.

For me, growing roots is so much easier.

And now I have to go. Oldest dear son just came to get me. He found a turtle while mowing the grass and I never turn down a nature opportunity. Hope your day is a good one. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

TobyBo said...

aaaah, I love bagpipes. Congratulations! My Mr Music is also a history lover...

r said...

Congratulations to your ds.