Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random Ramblings

Did You Miss Me?
I've been sick. I'm still sick. I thought I was getting better, but for some reason I feel just as bad today as I did when I was the sickest...most sick. I have a cold and sore throat and my ears are stopped up. I have kept a bottle of hand sanitizer nearby and have squirted it on my hands every time, and I do mean every single time, I have sneezed or blown my nose. I sanitize the phone when I use it and I sanitize the door knobs, light switches, and commode handle after I touch them. So far, I am the only one sick and worn out from all the sanitizing. It takes a lot of brain to remember to sanitize after each sneeze and blowing of the nose when you are sick and foggy from NyQuil. I have been staying away from my guys, too, and I am lonesome. I haven't had a decent hug since I have been sick. I guess you could say I am feeling very sorry for myself right now.

Homeschooling
We haven't missed any school since I have been sick, since youngest dear son can do most of it on his own. We did an experiment this week on substances that retard the growth of bacteria. Dear son dissolved a chicken bouillon cube in warm water and divided it up into four small juice glasses. In one glass, he added salt. Another, vinegar. The third one was left plain for a control and the fourth one went into the refrigerator. The glasses had to sit out for two days. We sat them on a TV tray in the living room. They looked like three urine specimens. Or three shots of beer. I couldn't decide.

In the last chapter of World Studies, dear son learned about a Spanish explorer, named Medana, who discovered the Solomon Islands. The native islanders were at first friendly, until Medana tried to use force to get food. Shots were fired and several natives were shot and wounded or killed. Several of Medana's men were ambushed after that. A landing party tried to go ashore after this and they were ambushed. Only one man made it back to the ship. They next day, they tried again only to see the angry natives on shore yelling and waving dismembered arms and legs. Medana decided that it would be best to go on to explore other islands. I love homeschooling.

Winter
I hate it. It makes me itch and makes my bones hurt. For years, we had warmer and warmer winters and that lulled us into forgetting about what winter really was all about. This winter has made up for it. I also don't drive on slick roads and now have to worry about dear husband and oldest dear son when they are out at school or work. Oldest dear son nearly went into the creek this week on black ice. One car was already there. Dear husband and I have been talking about retiring to a warmer climate. As soon as I find one with no mosquitoes, I am moving.

Books
After I finished Anne of Green Gables, I read Hitty, Her First Hundred Years, by Rachel Field. Very good. This book would make a great read aloud. Each chapter is a little adventure in itself. It is about a little doll carved out of wood, but I honestly think boys would enjoy this book just as much as girls. Youngest dear son is reading it now and loving it. It is a book for all ages.

Getting Old
I have stopped coloring my hair. I doubt that this is even blog worthy, but I thought I would record it here for posterity. I hope by summer to be a natural gray. I have been coloring my hair for years and finally decided I was tired of fooling with it and wanted to let it grow out. I will be 47 this year.

No comments: