Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Bird Watching Update

I haven't mentioned the birds in a while so I thought I would do that today. Oldest dear son and I saw two Eastern bluebirds yesterday for a brief couple of minutes. They were in the carport rafters. Is there a more perfect bird? So delicate and beautiful.

I have two mockers eating apples on the roof of the pumphouse. One is huge. He is so fat he looks like his breast is going to split open. The other one is much smaller, but very wiry! As soon as he lights on the roof he struts over to the suet feeder and splays his wings out in a very defiant stance before he starts to eat. They may even be male and female. I know mockers are very territorial.

We have several titmice, chickadees, cardinals, bluejays, and a bunch of mourning doves and a couple of downies.

These pix were taken on the pumphouse roof on my fake tree which is really a dead branch that dear husband placed on the roof for me to be able to take more natural looking shots of the birds, instead of them sitting in the seed feeder as you can see in one of the pix. He is stunning no matter where he sits, though. He usually eats suet. I am not sure what he was doing that day.

See the red streak on his belly? This is where he gets his name, Red-bellied Woodpecker.
Red-bellied Woodpecker hanging out in the seeds.


Mourning Dove

4 comments:

Wendy aka "Grits" said...

Great pictures!!!

Grits

Blueberry said...

I love your pictures! You are a talented photographer. Thank you for sharing them with us.

I have awarded you the Excellent Blog Award. Congratulations and God bless you and your family!

Fairlight said...

Hi Grits! Thanks for dropping by!

Blueberry, thank you for the blog award! This is another first for me. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Debbie B said...

Lovely pictures. I so enjoy watching and listening to birds. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Debbie