Thursday, March 06, 2008

March 6, 2008

All winter we have been in a very strange weather pattern for our area. We will have a day or two of unseasonably warm weather followed by a sharp drop in the temperature and then snow. This has been going on all winter long. Today is a beautiful day. We are expecting snow on Friday.

I walked up in the yard yesterday with dear husband to see if any of my flowers were coming up. The daffodils have been up a while in the front yard and I have a few scattered up on the hill. We went back a little too far with the garden last year and plowed some of them up. I counted six hyacinths along with a few irises and some clumps of primrose and carpet bugles. None of these were budded out yet, so I don't think the snow will hurt them. I wonder if this is just a mountain tradition, or do all women go out and count their flowers coming up in the spring?

We haven't decided if we want to raise a garden this year. It was so dry last year that I really don't know if I have the heart or the effort required to fool with it. I do love my home-grown tomatoes, though. Maybe just a few rows of them along with a row or two of white half-runners.

Youngest dear son and I have been off all this week on spring break. Unfortunately, we have both been sick. Our break is almost over. I didn't accomplish much of anything, except watching many, many, way too many episodes of Joan of Arcadia on DVD. I still miss that show.

I have been scanning pix to the computer. I have some from our recent trip that I should post and call Mr. and Mrs. Fairlight's excellent adventure. We went to Gatlinburg for our 25th wedding anniversary. We had a great time despite the fact that youngest dear son got sick the night we were gone and oldest dear son had to take care of him until we could get back home. I ended up sick the next day. Oldest dear son had to check his younger brother's blood sugar during the night to see if he needed additional insulin since he was sick. He said he felt like he was on LOST having to "push the button". I have to say they both did a really good job and I didn't panic. I did make...oh, around 20 calls to check on them.

It was only the second time in our marriage that we left them and went somewhere overnight alone. The first time was a disaster. I may try to write about that tomorrow. Same blog time, same blog channel.

No comments: