My sister came to stay with the boys and we set out on our trip. We didn't have time to eat lunch. We were planning on eating as soon as we picked up our tickets. We were on the interstate when we looked ahead and saw traffic stopping. We turned on the radio and learned that a wreck had shut down the interstate and motorists were being directed to take an alternate route. We had just passed the exit we needed, so we made a U turn in the grass and headed for the other road. We were so hungry. We didn't even have a stick of gum or a tictac. We found the road we needed and although we were hungry, our spirits were high. We went down this road a couple of miles and then we found ourselves stopped in traffic again! We sat and sat and sat....waiting and wondering if we were going to make it on time. We noticed a man sitting on an ATV just ahead of us at the junction of another small road. People were talking to him and then turning onto this road. We found out that we could take this road to get to the concert. I can't remember where it was, but I would love to one day go back and drive on this road again. It was beautiful country. By the time we got to the concert, the first act was already playing and we didn't have time to eat. I called my sister at a pay phone to let her know we had made it and we went into the club.
It was so tiny! The whole place was no bigger than my kitchen and living room. The women's bathroom was so small you had to turn sideways to go through the door. I am not joking! There were only five or six tables so we had to stand. We were starving and we don't drink so we tried to just enjoy the music. The band was so good and we were so close to them. The stage was only about a foot off the ground. They played all our favorites and we were having a really great time until...I started feeling sick. I got really hot and dizzy and sick at my stomach. I tried to fight it off, but I kept feeling worse and worse. My blood sugar had dropped from not eating. When I couldn't take it anymore, I turned to dear husband and told him I was sick. He got me over to the wall and I slid down in the floor. If I hadn't been so sick, I would have been horribly embarrassed. I know everyone thought I was drunk. He got me to my feet and led me to the door. My this time I was passing out. He almost had to carry me to the car. He went next door to a 7-11 and bought me a Sprite and within 20 minutes I was feeling better. I wanted him to take me back to the concert, but he said I needed food so we left and went to get something to eat. I was so mad at myself for getting sick. We learned at the restaurant that the interstate was still shut down! We tried to find a motel room in Lexington, but they were all booked full of stranded motorists. We had to drive north, and we eventually found a room. I called my sister and then we went and bought a toothbrush and a more items to do until we could get back home. By this time, it was very late so we went to bed. It would be several years before we attempted to go anywhere alone again!
Here are some pix from our recent anniversary trip to Gatlinburg. The first ones are of a little town we drove through. I love the first one!


I'll try to post more pix from our trip tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment